United States News
How to Access G.R.E.A.T. Digital Student Handbook Files
Recently, a message was sent out from the G.R.E.A.T. Program Office (GPO) explaining that the G.R.E.A.T. Student Handbooks were in the process of being turned into digital files. We are happy to report that these are now available for you to access and provide to your students. As acquiring these handbook files deviates from our current tracking procedures and involves more people having access to the copyrighted material than just G.R.E.A.T. instructors, we have developed a new mandatory procedure. This new procedure would require the law enforcement agency executive submitting the form and the school or district administrator at the school(s)/district where the files will be in use to agree to adhere to the copyright restrictions of the digital handbooks. The procedures below outline the steps that must be taken in order to gain access to the G.R.E.A.T. Student Handbook digital files.
- Log in to your Instructor Resources Account on the G.R.E.A.T. website at www.great-online.org.
- Under the “Classroom Materials” heading, download the G.R.E.A.T. Digital Student Handbook Request/Acknowledgement Form.
- Have the agency executive submitting the form complete the form with his or her signature and the signature of the school/district administrator at the school/district where the files will be in use. If you intend to teach at multiple schools, a form or forms must be submitted to cover all included schools. A form signed by the district superintendent or other appropriate district administrator will suffice for all included schools in the district.
- Scan and email the completed form to email@example.com.
- Once the GPO has received and processed this form, all active G.R.E.A.T. instructors in your agency will receive an email indicating that the files are available in his or her Instructor Resources Account under the "Classroom Materials" heading.
- This form will expire annually on July 31. To continue having access to the files, you must complete and submit a new form.
Central America News
Making a Difference: Your G.R.E.A.T. Legacy -- 2019 G.R.E.A.T. Training Conference
On October 14¬–16, 2019, the G.R.E.A.T. Program hosted its second Central American G.R.E.A.T. Training Conference in San Salvador, El Salvador. This was a two-and-a-half-day event for 236 attendees representing six Central American countries. The conference was presented in both Spanish and English, with the help of simultaneous interpretation and bilingual materials. At this year’s conference, titled “Making a Difference: Your G.R.E.A.T. Legacy,” speakers presented a total of 22 workshops and three plenary sessions, all designed to remind participants that each child is an opportunity to make a lasting difference. Presentation topics ranged from “Discipline in the Classroom” and “Engaging Youth in Public Safety Through Leadership Programs” to “Sexual Diversity Concepts” and “Ethics in the G.R.E.A.T. Workplace.” Attendees also participated in country-specific networking sessions and a hands-on workshop on games to play with students when hosting a G.R.E.A.T. Summer Program.
The feedback from the conference was tremendously positive—the main complaint was that the conference was not long enough.
“This excellent conference is creating a G.R.E.A.T. impact in my personal life. It has inspired me to be all that I can be and to inspire the children with whom I come into daily contact.”
“The information was well-received and renewed my motivation and hope in the work I’m doing.”
“The organization of this event was impeccable.”
To see pictures from the 2019 G.R.E.A.T. Training Conference, visit the G.R.E.A.T. Facebook page .